Krugersdorp is a town on the West Rand. The town was established when gold was discovered in the general Witwatersrand region around 1887. This then became the town servicing the discovery on the western reef of the deposit.
From this short historical interlude it is evident that the town is well-established. Since 1887 the town has expanded to the point it is today with in excess of 25 major and min or suburbs.
For residents to Krugersdorp the prime determinative factor in choice of suburb is status determined by their scale of income, proximity to commercial or industrial hubs and amenities like schools and malls.
The town is in an advantageous position to still be closely sustained by mining of various metals and minerals and this also ensures the growth of the property market in the town. In 2014 “D” Shaft was put back into production and this has further financial gain for the town and in turn the property market seeing that mining elsewhere has been reduced.
With the mining industry there has to of course be allied industries in support of maintaining and develop mining equipment and Krugersdorp has a number of nearby industrial hubs such as Chamdor, Boltonia, Factoria and Lewisham.
The suburbs of Krugersdorp are serviced by a number of reputable schools such as Alma Mater Akademie Combined International School, St Ursula’s School and Hoerskool Pro-Practicum.
Guest houses, B&B’s and game lodges are common in Krugersdorp as there is a large number of cultural, historical and natural heritage sites which attract tourists all year round.
Being such a large town means each suburb has at least one mall catering for retail needs. Here is just some of the larger malls; Cradlestone Mall, President Square, Westgate Shopping Centre and Kagiso Mall.
Take a tour of the homes in Krugersdorp via the Myroof web-site.